Monday, May 02, 2005

An Idea for Keeping Busy

Today I started a new job as a pastor at a church in North Dakota. The interesting thing as a new pastor coming into an existing church is that the very work I will be doing is quite unknown to me at the prestent time. I will be working with people and at this point I am not sure if I remember my own name let alone the names of the parishoners. I walked into the quiet building this morning and sat at my desk. There was a new computer with “My Documents” waiting to be filled. There were shelves longing to be burdened with the weight of books. In a drawer sat many unopened packages of post-it notes waiting to be stuck and restuck. I gazed out the window and watched the brown prairie grass blow in the wind and thought – where do I begin? You may be wondering what I did all day or what any pastor does all day for that matter. Well, at about 1:30 this afternoon I checked my e-mail for the 58th time and noticed I had an e-mail from a good friend of mine entitled “An Idea for Keeping Busy.” In the message he suggested I start a blog. I gave it some thought and tried to figure out what I would write if I did start a blog. I could write about North Dakota. I could write about the church. I could write about my son or my wife or my dog. I thought about it for a while and then decided that I didn’t really want to start a blog. It’s a good idea but I just don’t know what I would write.

Franklin for President

1 comment:

Vince said...

If I ever start a blog you will be the first to know dear boy. I doubt I ever will because I don't have a computer and even if I did I don't know how to type or read for that matter.