Monday, September 11, 2006

"Covenant Headship"

In the last two weeks I have listened to the same sermon three separate times. I listened to it in my office. I listened to it with my wife in our car on the way to a nearby, booming metropolis. I listened to it last evening with our small group. If you have a spouse or would like a spouse or if you know anyone who may have had a spouse at some point in their life - I would encourage you to listen to this sermon. In fact, I would encourage those who are married to listen to this sermon with your spouse.
The sermon is by Mark Driscoll from Mars Hill Church in Seattle. It is an amazing look at the roles of men and women in a marriage. If you just groaned - listen to the sermon. It has changed my view of my relationship with my wife. Listen to it with your spouse and let me know what you think. I will post the link below.

"Covenant Headship" - The sermon is an hour and a half long but well worth the time.

3 comments:

ylmurph said...

I just groaned...I guess I'd better hit play

Amy said...

Thanks Vince! It's exactly what James needed to hear!! ha ha. Just kidding. Exactly what we BOTH needed to hear (especially me).

Bryan C. McWhite said...

Well, I'm a complimentarian and I generally dig what Driscoll has to say, so there was no groan from me when you posted this, Vince. But there were multiple groans as I washed windows this morning and listened to the sermon.

I was so disappointed. What I love about Driscoll is his "bull in a china shop" approach to truth and those that oppose it. But there are just some issues that require a bit more sensitivity, care, caution, and winsomeness than Driscoll seems to be able to muster. He said quite a few things in this sermon that were either erroneous, misguided, poorly said, or flat-out insensitive to men and women.

Complimentarians certainly have the exegetical/theological upper hand in these debate, but that certainly shouldn't make us brash or haughty.

B