Thursday, June 05, 2008

Email Etiquette

I ran across this post today entitled Email Checklist. There are 36 helpful tips how how to send email. Particularly insightful are the following -

13. Am I angry? (If so, save as draft and come back to the note in one hour).
14. Could I do this note better with a phone call?
16. Is there anything in this email I don't want the attorney general, the media or my boss seeing? (If so, hit delete).
20. Have I included the line, "Please save the planet. Don't print this email"? (If so, please delete the line and consider a job as a forest ranger or flight attendant).
21. Could this email be shorter?
25. Are there any :-) or other emoticons involved? (If so, reconsider).
28. Am I forwarding something about a virus or worldwide charity effort or other potential hoax? (If so, visit snopes and check to see if it's 'actually true).
33. Are there any little animated creatures in the footer of this email? Adorable kittens? Endangered species of any kind?
36. If I had to pay 42 cents to send this email, would I?

2 comments:

M. said...

Sorry in advance for any emoticon-ish smiley faces that you may see from me. I use them to help people translate tone in typed word. I do try to stay away from emoticon winking, frowning, open-mouthed surprise or other such frivolity.

I have email pet peeves, but I'm not certain they fall under the term etiquette. I'm very rich in the pet peeve department.

Anonymous said...

Do these apply to blog comments too? :-)

I certainly wouldn't have paid 42 cents to send you this.